Bachelor of Science in Psychology (BSPSYCH)
The Department of Psychology is fully committed to the formation of professional psychology practitioners across a variety of disciplines. Guided with long-cherished Ignatian values and principles of excellence, cura personalis, and magis, its undergraduate and graduate programs have been designed to equip students to be at the frontlines of various engagement areas in psychology. The faculty members are also actively involved as service providers, resource persons and trainors in humanitarian efforts, organization development of various institutions and in scholarly activities. All these are carried out in the pursuit of academic excellence leadership and citizenship.
Bachelor of Science in Psychology
The curriculum is compliant of the Commission on Higher Education’s guidelines for the undergraduate program and has considered a balance of theory and application in Psychology including a Summer Internship program and a completion of a thesis paper. To distinguish the students from graduates of other institutions, the curriculum has added a strong foundation in both spirituality and philosophy to further develop the graduates as persons. The combination of professional and personal formation is aimed at ensuring that the students ready are to pursue practice as licensed Psychometricians or as support practitioners in other areas of psychology. The course has also been designed to become an excellent preparation for graduate studies (in Human Resource Development or Guidance and Counseling), law and medicine.
- Provide a well-rounded educational experience through a carefully designed curriculum featuring a powerful combination of discipline related subjects, sciences, humanities and exposure to co-curricular activities.
- Foster a strong sense of understanding and deep appreciation of local culture, history and future directions so that the students are encouraged to be truly sensitive and responsive in carrying out their roles as future professionals and as citizens.
- Produce graduates who can be relied upon to become competent and efficient practitioners of psychology and who are mindful of the legal limitations set by for the profession.
Master of Arts in Organizational Psychology
The program provides the graduate students with theoretical and research foundations on human behavior in the work and organizational setting. Knowledge in Human Resource Development and skills in Research and Advanced Psychological Interventions are emphasized. The program primarily aims to develop excellent human resource administrators and organization dynamics experts for both public and private industries. Graduates of the program will be qualified to take the Psychologists’ licensure examination and/or pursue doctorate degrees in Psychology, Development Studies or other related disciplines.
Master of Arts in Guidance and Counseling
This program emphasizes competencies in psychological counseling and guidance services. In particular, it is designed to be consistent with government requirements in terms of knowledge and skills expected of licensed guidance and counseling practitioners. In lieu of a thesis paper, the students after their supervised internship are expected to present to a panel of faculty experts a full scale guidance program and three counseling cases and together the student is guided on clarifying their own counseling philosophy. Upon completion of the degree, the graduate qualifies for the national licensure examination in the field and/or pursues doctorate studies in Clinical Psychology or other related disciplines.
- Provide a solid higher educational training with emphasis on acquisition of professional technical and personal competencies as instructed by seasoned professors who themselves are deeply engaged in the various fields of psychology.
- Develop in the students a culture of research and other scholarly activities by including journal reviews, writing of literature reviews and articles and/or conduct of small scale researches as requirements in all courses. Students are also encouraged to submit works for presentations in conventions or publication in journals along their field of interest. Furthermore, a thesis is required in the MAOP program and a paper and case presentation in the MAGC program.
- Produce graduates who are not only competent and efficient in their chosen fields of specializations but also deeply anchored on social and ethical considerations. All these are eventually aimed at developing passionate and committed professionals in the city, the region and the _______________.