23 February 2010
MEMO TO: THE ATENEO COMMUNITY
RE: POWER AND WATER CRISIS
Due to climate change and our worsening environmental conditions, we are currently experiencing frequent power interruptions and shortages. We are told that this situation will continue to affect us until July 2010. At the rate we are doing, it is highly possible that we will encounter this same difficulty through the coming years. To express solidarity with the rest of our people who are suffering from this situation, and curb our power and water consumption, I invite all members of our community to explore ways to conserve energy and water. In addition, I urge our community to comply with the following procedures starting today:
- No aircon before 9.00 AM and after 4.00 PM (for offices that operate from 8.00 AM to 5.00 PM).
- Switch off lights, electrical gadgets and appliances when these are not used.
- Report to PPO water leaks.
- Use water and power judiciously.
- Segregate wastes and recycle materials.
Exception to #1 needs clearance from the Office of the President. A little show of solidarity makes a big statement. Let us remind each other about these procedures.
I thank you for your customary understanding and cooperation.
Antonio F Moreno SJ
Memo: 09-10: 53