As part of a Filipino school, the Religion Department seeks to:
- uphold learning activities promoting Christian values and practices that strengthen the relationship among members of the family, the basic unit of the Filipino society; and
- deepen students’ awareness of the Christian dimension of Filipino community values that bring about a genuine love for one’s fellowmen, and reverence and respect for the country’s God-given natural and economic resources.
As part of a College Preparatory school, the Religion Department seeks to:
- provide students with a solid understanding of the basics of the Catholic faith in preparation for advanced theological studies and reflection in the tertiary level; and
- sharpen students’ critical faculty through opportunities for reflection on and articulation of the relationship between one’s faith and one’s day-to-day activities.
As part of a Catholic school, the Religion Department seeks to:
- present Christ as model of human life and invite students to a personal friendship with Him by instructing them on His life and teachings;
- update students on the teachings and traditions of the Catholic Church;
- provide concrete experiences of church life; and
- lead students to an appreciation for and openness to the richness of diverse religious beliefs and lifestyles other than their own.
As part of a Jesuit school, the Religion Department shares in the common vision and goals of the worldwide system of Jesuit education. These vision and goals are contained in the document, Characteristics of Jesuit Education.
Bilang bahagi ng isang paaralang Filipino:
- layunin ng Departamento na hasain ang mga mag-aaral sa larangan ng pagbabasa, pagsusulat, pakikinig, pag-iisip at pakikipagtalastasan sa Wikang Filipino;
- inaasahan ding maitanim ang mga tunay na maka-Pilipinongkaisipan mithiin sa pamamagitan ng pag-aaral ng kaugalian, tradisyon, paniniwala at kasaysayang Pilipino;
- layunin din nitong pagyamanin at linangin ang mga mabuting kaugaliang Pilipino sa pamamagitan ng mga piling akdang pampanitikan;
- mapaunlad ang kamalayang panlipunan bilang tao sa kanyang kapwa, paggalang at pag-iingat sa mga kalikasan;
Bilang bahagi ng isang paaralang inihahanda ang mga mag-aaral para sa Kolehiyo:
- layunin ng departamentong ihanda ang mga mag-aaral sa mga gawaing pangkolehiyo sa pamamagitan ng pagsasangkap sa kanila ng mga kaalaman at galing na magagamit nila sa kolehiyo tulad ng pagsasalita at pagsusulat nang wasto sa wikang Filipino.
- linangin din ang kakayahang makapagpahayag ng sarili sa kritikal na pagninilay-nilay at malikhaing pag-iisip na gumagamit ng malinaw at mapanghikayat na mga salita.
Bilang bahagi ng isang paaralang Katoliko:
Layunin ng departamentong ito na ikintal sa isipan ng mga mag-aaral ang kahalagahang moral at ispiritwal mula sa mga piling akdang pampanitikan lalung lalo na ang nagpapakita ng paggalang sa kapwa na taglay ang pagmamalasakit na tulad ng ipinamamalas ni Hesukristo sa paraang hindi ipinapakita ang pagkiling o pagkampi sa alinmang sekto ng relihiyon.
Bilang bahagi ng isang paaralang Heswita:
Nilalayon ng departamentong ito na hubugin ang mga mag-aaral bilang tao para sa iba, paghasa ng kanilang galing sa komunikasyon, sa pagsusulat at pakikipagtalastasan sa pagtanim ng kamalayang panlipunan sa pamamagitan ng mga akda at iba’t ibang gawain sa loob at labas ng silid – aralan. Umaasa na ang mga gawaing ito ay makakatulong sa pagkilala na si Kristo ay siyang modelo sa pagtahak sa buhay.
As part of a Filipino school, the English Department aims to:
- cultivate the basic moral values of Filipinos among students by sharing experiences, discussing themes, interpreting lines, dramatizing and drawing out significant human experiences from literary selections;
- develop an appreciation and respect for other cultures and thus enable them to appreciate the richness of their own Filipino heritage;
- help the students grow in the knowledge of themselves and become more aware of their significant roles in the progress and well-being of their country; and
- encourage students to use the English language effectively and to develop the confidence and assertiveness that they need in taking their place as creative, responsible, and productive members of the community.
As part of a College Preparatory school, the English Department aims to:
- develop in the learners the listening, speaking, reading and writing competencies which are important aspects of communication;
- help the students acquire effective writing skills using rhetorical techniques that culminate in more complex communicative functions such as preparing a research paper, and performing practical writing activities in the form of writing notes and business letters; and
- develop critical thinking skills as in argumentation and persuasion.
As a part of a Catholic school, the English Department aims to:
- inculcate in the students the moral and spiritual values gleaned from selected literary selections;
- develop awareness and sensitivity to the dignity of man and the meaning and purpose of his life; and
- enable students to show respect for the total human person, and to manifest the spirit of love and sacrifice as reflected in the life of Christ.
As part of a Jesuit school, the English Department aims to:
- cultivate students’ concern for others and the practice of generosity to their fellowmen as well as the manifestation of their commitment to social justice through the integration of these values in the literature subjects and in their essays and compositions;
- develop in the students the traditional skills in speaking and writing (eloquentia) through varied activities that include elocution delivery (choral and individual), extemporaneous-speaking exercise, discussions, plays/skits, paragraph development and other writing exercises;
- sharpen their abilities and communicative skills in order to respond creatively and function effectively as instruments of God in the service of others;
- make students realize that the world is basically good because God created it and they can make it a better place because God is working through them.
As part of a Filipino school, the Mathematics Department aims to develop in the students the appreciation for the use of quantitative procedures and techniques in the effective utilization of our country’s resources.
As part of a College Preparatory school, the Mathematics Department aims to:
- equip the students with the basic mathematical skills needed in college Mathematics;
- encourage students to take courses related to the field of Mathematics.
As a part of a Catholic school, the Mathematics Department aims to:
- develop in the students the appreciation for the value and importance of Mathematics in ordinary life;
- enable the students to apply analytical thinking in the everyday living out of a Christian life.
As a part of a Jesuit school, the Mathematics Department aims to:
- develop in the students the ability to think logically and critically in view of inculcating in them the Ignatian process of discernment;
- develop the habits of accuracy and precision of thought and expression;
- develop the value of being “man or woman for others” through sharing of mathematical skills and abilities.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
As part of a Filipino school, the Science and Technology Department aims to:
- foster the genuine development of science and technology in the service of national interest;
- equip the students with basic scientific knowledge, skills and values in order to become effective and productive members of the society; and
- develop into the consciousness of the students their duties and responsibilities to the country as stewards of God’s creation.
As part of a College Preparatory school, the Science and Technology Department aims to facilitate the student’s acquisition of adequate knowledge and skills in the major scientific disciplines in order to respond to the challenges of college life.
As part of a Catholic school, the Science and Technology Department aims to help the students recognize the importance of man’s relationship with his fellowmen and with nature as the basis of man’s unity with God.
As part of a Jesuit school, the Science and Technology Department aims to help the students understand, appreciate and make use of the discoveries, explorations and inventions of science for the benefit of mankind.
SOCIAL STUDIES DEPARTMENT
As part of a Filipino school, the Social Studies Department aims to make the students:
- become aware that the differences that exist among neighborhoods, cultural communities and regions in their country are representative of the differences that exist in the world at large;
- emulate desirable Filipino values and ideals exemplified by the Filipino martyrs and heroes;
- develop awareness of their own cultural and social dignity and identity which are distinct from other foreign cultural influences;
- enhance their sense of nationhood by taking pride in their heritage;
- develop environmental awareness and commitment to conserve and utilize the natural resources and economic wealth that God has given the Filipinos as a nation.
As a part of a College Preparatory school, the Social Studies Department aims to:
- develop academic competence and proper attitude so that the students may be equipped with the skills, habits and proficiency in the acquisition of knowledge in order to become productive citizens of their country; and
- form in the students the habits of orderly, constructive, and critical thinking about the social, political and cultural conditions prevalent in the local, national and global communities.
As part of a Catholic school, the Social Studies Department aims to:
- inculcate in the students the Christian teachings and traditions which are manifested in their own cultural, social, and political life; and manifest openness and understanding in dealing with people
- belonging to different religions in their country.
As part of a Jesuit school, the Social Studies Department aims to impart to the students the values of love, unselfish concern, and involvement with their fellow¬ men in the promotion of justice and service of the faith within the Filipino social, cultural and political community.
TECHNOLOGY AND LIVELIHOOD DEPARTMENT
The Practical Arts Department helps fulfill the objectives of the Ateneo de Zamboanga High School as a
Filipino school by:
- exposing students to crafts that develop in them the skills of organization and systematic planning, the values of creativity, resourcefulness, industry, the desire for functionality and concern for the environment;
- developing an appreciation for what is truly Filipino by using indigenous materials in their projects;
- Providing opportunities to enable them to select and prepare for an occupation.
College Preparatory school by:
- acquainting the students with the technological and practical roles of automatic digital computers in a wide area of application;
- developing in them a logical, critical and creative way of thinking;
- helping them acquire basic skills in problem-solving in actual situations that demand computer applica¬tion.
- training them in implementing ideas and acquired skills in actual situations that demand computer applica¬tion.
Catholic school by:
- inculcating the values of cooperation, honesty, tolerance, industry, patience and perseverance;
- developing love, respect and appreciation for work.
Jesuit school by:
- contributing to the total formation of the students through the development of their creative talents and aesthetic sense;
- training them in the proper use of common hand tools and equipment, materials and processes for prac¬tical application in family or community situations (service to others);
- emphasizing excellence in their work.